Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tree Sap! Help!

So Lanie decided to climb a pine tree.
 
She had a lot of fun, and got fairly high. 
But she also got a quarter-sized glob of tree sap in her hair.

I tried everything to get it out:  olive oil, dish soap, peanut butter. The thing that finally did the trick was Vaseline. I had to use 2-3 TBLS and brush it in with a toothbrush.

The sap came out, but I couldn't get the greasy Vaseline out.
I read that you can get Vaseline out with mouthwash and dishsoap. We tried. This picture was taken after two washings with it. She smelled minty fresh, but her hair still looked disgusting.

So here's what we did:
I shook it on her head and spread it through the strands with my fingers.
Then I rinsed her hair with water and combed baby oil through it. 
I know it sounds counter-productive, but when I want to get extra wax off from an eyebrow waxing, baby oil does the trick. So I tried it...and it does. It seemed to cut through the Vaseline.
Then I used Dawn dish soap. 
I used a lot, until it was lathered nicely and I rubbed it into her scalp and thoroughly through the strands.
Then I shampooed and conditioned to soften it.
It looks clean again! What a process. 
Next time someone you know gets gum or tree sap in their hair, skip the ice, the peanut butter, the olive oil, etc and jump right to the Vaseline, cornstarch and baby oil.

Since the baby oil, her hair also feels softer and is much easier to brush, but it's not greasy at all. I might try putting baby oil in it every six months to moisturize it again.
Miriam

2 comments:

  1. Poor girl :(
    Did the baby oil really make it soft? I will try it. My hair is so dry from styling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try using a product called goo gone, it works for about anything, a little bit goes a long way too. It takes off gum, sticky labels paint etc. Good luck next time, I think soap shampoo or soap will get it (goo gone) out of the hair and clothes etc.

    ReplyDelete