Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Hairstyle -- Turkey's Tail



Happy Thanksgiving to all of our great readers!
We are so thankful for all of your loyal reader-ship.

I come from a large family, and we didn't grow up with a lot of money, but my parents always made the holidays special.
We had a ping-pong table that my dad had made out of two 4x8 sheets of particle board that he'd sanded and painted green, and then used masking tape to mark the boundaries. It's legs were collapsable saw horses, so that we could easily take it down and store it. Put together, it took up most of the room, so we rarely ever set it up. But it was the only table large enough to accommodate everyone. 

I remember splitting up the jobs the night before. Some of us would break bread for the stuffing, a few would peel potatoes and yams, and the rest would hand-wash the china. That may not sound like fun, but something about us gathered around the table, knowing it was a holiday, and fighting to get a turn on the hand-crank food processor to grind the celery and onions was something we looked forward to every year. 

After that, we'd pull out 3 large tablecloths and drape the ping pong table. We'd carefully set it with my mom's china. She'd show us how to fold napkins, and teach us all about salad and dinner forks. But dinner never started without going around the table and saying something we were thankful for.

The food was always spectacular, and we'd spend the rest of the day in a ping-pong tournament interspersed with pie eating. As we got older we added karaoke, but that's pretty much it. We never cared about football.

With my father and grandparents gone and me now in charge of the turkey and all the fixings, it feels different than Thanksgivings of my youth. But we still start the celebration with saying what we're thankful for, and I love that part. 

This year I'm thankful for my husband and children and wished my angel son could be with us for the holidays, but we know he's watching over us.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Miriam

3 comments:

  1. Darling hair. Love the story. Happy Thanksgiving,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so AWESOME

    Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty

    ReplyDelete