Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cutting Boys Hair 101

Learning to cut your boys' hair is EASY and will save you tons of $$$$$$

All it takes is a set of clippers from your local beauty supply store.  They start at about $25 and last for years.  It's nearly fool proof!  I say nearly, because it is fairly easy to learn, but there is one caveat...

You have to pay attention.

That seems simple, but a long time ago (before I'd honed my haircutting mojo) I cut a straight-up bald spot in my brother's hair.  

I had already finished his cut and it looked pretty good, so I was just trimming up his neck.  But I noticed a spot on the back of his head that I'd missed and thought, I'll just run the clippers back over and cut those stray hairs.  Unfortunately -- with no attachment (because you have to remove it to shave the neck) -- I shaved a bald rectangle out of the back of his head!  

Well, my brother wasn't pleased, nor was he ready to embrace a cue-ball head, so I had to take his cut pretty short and he used a dark eyeliner pencil to draw it in until it grew back.

Don't let this story scare you, it really is easy to do.


  1. You make it look so easy! I'm gonna borrow my sisters clippers and try it. Thanks.

  2. Thank you so much for this post! I have been trying my hand at cutting my boys' hair for the past couple months and was about to give up because I have a terrible time fading. This last time I just used a 3 all over their heads because I was so tired of it being so uneven. Poor little burr headed boys...I'm so excited to give this a try!

  3. I found this video on youtube. It was so helpful. Just wanted to let you know it worked out great.

  4. So glad I found you! My son has this young mans head... down to the swirl in the back. Can't wait to try it tomorrow. Up until now I have been putting on the #4 guard and doing the entire head, I'm excited for my son to have some style... now to get him to sit still while I use the clippers-he's ticklish.

  5. thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much i can not express to you my gratitude towards you right know.

  6. Thank you! I have 3 boys and cut my husbands hair, I have been doing pretty well but wanted to figure out how to leave the top a lot longer and blend it in that helped a ton!!

  7. I just found this post and I love it. I'd never quite mastered blending till I watched this video. I just cut all three of my boys hair beautifully. Thank you

  8. Keep it up!! You have done the nice job having provided the latest information.Beauty Cuts