Friday, September 28, 2012

Braided Ribbon Headband



My grandmother spent several years living in Germany during the 1960's.  While she was there,
she tried to collect a small doll from each European country she was able to visit.  When she returned to the U.S., she kept her doll collection on display in a glass case.  And when I was a little girl, it was one of the highlights of visiting her home.  
I loved staring at the dolls.  And I had a favorite.
It was the little girl from Switzerland.
She had a red and green checkered dress, knee-high red socks, little black shoes, and her light blond hair was up in a braided do like this one.
I stared at that little doll for years.
After my grandmother passed away, I inherited the little boy and girl dolls from Spain.  Who were equally neat. The boy is in a blue sailor suit holding an oar, and the girl is in a full red and black dress with a high black bun and flowers.
But I'll always have a special spot for the little Swiss girl 
and her braided ribbon headband.
Miriam

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bella,
    This is Emily (doog) it is a really cute style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. I'm only in 5th grade and I think I can master it after a few try's. Also do you think the head band would work with shorter hair? Thanks again Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. The headband would work on shorter hair, but don't start the braid at the base of your head. Start a little bit to the side of your part, so just a bit more than the top of your head is in the braid and you can leave some of the back of your hair down (like a true headband would be worn). I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete